Thursday, October 12, 2006

Aren't we blessed!

I was just thinking that we live in an incredible time in history and technology. Our recent move to Alabama has been difficult but made so much easier because of cell phones, internet, email, and good ol' land-line phones.

It has been some time ago, but Hollyann and I have read the entire series of Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder and even the next set about her daughter, Rose. I just think of Ma, trusting Pa and the Lord completely, taking her 3 little girls to the savage plains of Kansas, and not having another adult female to even discuss the weather with for days on end. She didn't have MOPS or women's Bible Study or the YMCA to take a couple of classes during the week. She had no one to bounce questions off of, to cry with, to laugh with. She didn't have a mom to get advice from about baking without baking powder, or diaper rash, or how to keep the mice out of the winter stores of food. How amazing that these pioneer women survived at all without their girlfriends. Maybe that's why they died so young - their souls were starved for Christian fellowship and friends.

But how amazing that we have the phone to call our moms, dads, aunts, uncles, siblings and friends anytime we feel like it. Whether we are happy or sad, there is someone who is just a phone call or email away. Aren't we blessed!

1 comment:

The Mama of the House said...

Yippee! I'm so glad you have a blog! It just makes it so convenient to know what's what in everyone's life. Especially in this age when we have friends all over the place. And I already love your posts! And keep up the good work with the photos!